Monday, July 11, 2011

Priming Issues

So as I mentioned in my last post I have the Raspberry Rhubarb Wheat that needs to be bottled here soon and I will after the heat is more bearable though.

I am apprehensive about bottling this beer because the last couple of batches I feel have been inconsistent when it comes to the amount of head that the beer has once it is done bottle conditioning.  Some have little to no head and some have too much head when poured into the glass.  Other then the Minty Moose Stout which I accidentally over primed (not enough to cause bottle bombs but enough to make it an interesting experience when opening the bottles) I have no idea as to why I am getting this inconsistency.  I can think of only 2 reasons for the homebrews that pour with too much head.
  1. Infection
  2. Something going wrong with the priming sugar
I think that if it was an infection problem I could taste it when I drink.  Now I don't claim to be a expert when it comes to tasting but I think I know when something is not right and I take sanitizing seriously.

This leads me to believe that the inconsistency is caused during the priming step.  I always use the recommended amount of corn sugar and try to make sure it it gets mixed thoroughly in the bottling bucket.  I have used priming tablets a couple times before and am considering using them on this next batch.

I will update as I bottle and open this current batch.  If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I am open to any tips

No comments:

Post a Comment